Unwanted body hair can be a problem to a lot of men. So can unruly eyebrow, nasal and ear hair. Waxing is a quick and easy way to temporarily remove the hair and it’s really not as uncomfortable as you might think!
DO LOTS OF MEN GET WAXED?
Yes! Male waxing has grown in popularity as more and more men, of all ages and backgrounds, realise the benefits of smooth hair-free skin.
WILL IT HURT?
Everyone is different. All my clients agree that the thought of getting waxed is worse than the actual act of waxing. It’s never as bad as they thought it would be, and any discomfort gets less and less with each regular appointment.
Regular waxing keeps you smooth for weeks, there’s much less irritation than with shaving or hair removal creams, sweating is reduced, new hairs grow through softer and sparser and confidence increases.
IS THERE ANY REASON WHY I CAN'T GET WAXED?
There are a few reasons why you may not be able to get waxed, or you may need a medical referral or I may just need to be aware of an issue. Please check through the following list below and if you answer yes to any of the questions, please call me to discuss. Please be honest as everything is confidential and I don’t want to have to turn you away when you’ve arrived for your appointment.
• Are you taking any medication or under the care of a medical practitioner?
• Do you have a heart condition or circulatory disorder e.g. varicose veins, haemophilia, phlebitis, high/low blood pressure etc)?
• Have you had recent surgery or medical treatment?
• Any injuries or areas of tenderness?
• Any joint or mobility problems (e.g. arthritis, sprains, etc)?
• Do you have Diabetes?
• Do you have any oedema or other swelling in the treatment area?
• Do you have any allergies or intolerances (e.g. to lanolin, sticking plasters, essential oils, nuts, etc)?
• Do you have any skin disorders or infections (e.g. eczema, psoriasis, ringworm, etc)?
• Do you have any urinary tract infections or STI’s?
• Do you have any recent scar tissue, cuts, bruises or other abrasions to the area being waxed?
• Do you have sunburn or heat allergies?
• Are you easily bruised or have hypersensitive or highly reactive skin?
• Have you used Roaccutane or other acne products in last 6 months?
• Are you using vitamin A skincare, glycolic acid or other AHA or BHA products?
• Have you had a recent skin peel, dermabrasion, IPL or laser treatment?
• Have you used steroid creams or steroid medication in last 3 months?
• Do you have any nerve damage or increased/decreased sensitivity in the skin?
• Have you had any previous reactions to waxing?
WHAT DOES WAXING INVOLVE?
The area to be waxed is cleansed and a very light covering of oil is applied. For the most effective and comfortable treatment possible I use two methods of waxing: Strip wax (mainly for larger areas): The area is coated in sections with a thin layer of warm wax, which sticks to the hair. I then smooth a paper strip over the wax and remove it very quickly taking any hair with it! Peelable wax (mainly for smaller areas): A thicker wax is applied in small sections, allowed to set on the skin and then quickly peeled off by hand, taking any hair with it!
HOW SHOULD I PREPARE FOR MY TREATMENT?
If possible, gently exfoliate the areas you are having waxed for a few days before your appointment. This helps to remove any dead skin cells and lifts the hair, enabling me to remove as many hairs as possible. Please have a shower or bath before your appointment.
Do not shave or use hair removal creams on the area for at least 3 weeks before your appointment, as hair needs to be a minimum of ½cm long to get removed successfully. If you are already getting waxed regularly, you will need to leave at least 4 weeks between treatments. Wear a clean, loose-fitting t-shirt if you’re having your back or chest waxed and loose trousers for leg waxing.
HOW LONG WILL THE TREATMENT TAKE?
This depends on the area being waxed and how much hair there is. Eyebrows take about 15 minutes, legs 45-60 minutes, and a chest or back wax will take about 30-45 minutes. These times are all approximate and depend on hair growth. I allow extra time for new clients so that you don’t feel rushed, but it does get quicker and easier every time you attend.
WILL IT FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE AFTERWARDS?
Some slight tenderness and redness are common temporary reactions, especially if this is your first wax. These should subside within a few hours, and regular waxing should result in less irritation. If it’s your first wax it’s not unusual to get a few pimples on the chest and back. I recommend using an antibacterial lotion after washing (Outback Organics Hand & Body Lotion) or a scrub in the shower (Ruff Stuff Daily Body Scrub). These will help to soothe and protect your skin. Please see my products page.
HOW SHOULD I CARE FOR MY SKIN AFTERWARDS?
Please see my Aftercare page.
CAN I HAVE A MASSAGE, SPRAY TAN OR SUNBED AFTER MY WAX?
Depending on the area waxed, I advise you wait a day or so before having a massage. You must leave at least 48 hours before sunbathing, using fake tan or using UV sunbeds.
HOW LONG WILL THE RESULTS LAST?
This varies from person to person. Because of the way hair grows, it may take 3 or 4 appointments spaced evenly apart to get the best results. To maintain your smooth appearance, I recommend waxing regularly every 4 to 6 weeks.
HOW MUCH WILL IT COST?
Please see my Services & Prices page or contact me.
WHAT IS SUGARING?
Sugaring is an ancient form of hair removal and is more gentle on the skin than strip waxing, so it’s great for sensitive skin. I use the hand method of applying and removing the paste. Hairs are removed from follicles in the natural direction of hair growth and hair can be very short and still get removed from the roots. Sugaring will also remove dead skin cells leaving the skin soft and healthy.
I have been trained and certified by Alexandria Professional ® – The world’s leading experts in the art of body sugaring.
If you have any questions about waxing or sugaring that I haven’t covered here then please call or email me and I will do my best to help.
To book your appointment please call or email me
T: 07704 168695
Situated in Broadstone.
Exact location provided on appointment confirmation.
Please note my phone is turned off on Sundays.